Sunday, September 21, 2008

Bad Beat Blues at Artichoke Joe's

Sunday No Limit Tournament at Artichoke Joe's. My second try at the Sunday tournament. Buy in was $49, unlimited rebuys for the first 4 rounds at $20 for 500 in chips. One $40 add-on at the break for another $1000 in chips. I only played one hand the first hour, with no callers. A lot of loose play with players trying to accumulate chips. First hand after the break. I have $1940 in chips. Blinds were at 60/100. I was two off of the button, all fold around to me. I look down at pocket 9's, the best hand I've seen all night. I raise to 340. Small and big blind call. Flop comes 4 6 7. Big blind check to me. Given that there was almost $1000 in the pot, I decide to push all of my chips in there, as I figure that I was the favorite. The small blind folds, and the big blind pauses, decides to call, even though he knew he was a big dog. He turns over pocket deuces. He spikes a deuce on the turn AND the river for quad deuces. I'm one of the first to go home. He thought I had AK.

Afterthoughts: I should have raised a bit more, maybe 4-5 times the big blind with a medium pocket pair. The big blind had a lot more in chips than I did, and with the small blind calling the extra 280, he needed another 240 to call my raise with 680 in the pot, slightly less than 3 to 1 pot odds, so he decided to take a chance and call. I wonder what would have happened if I only put $1000 in the pot after the flop. I think he probably would have still called. I think I made the right decision, just ran into some very bad luck. Pre-flop, I was a 4 -1 favorite, and after the flop, I was 96 to 4% favorite. There were only two cards in the deck that he could catch, and he caught both of them. Bad beat. Not quite as bad as losing with quad aces, but unfortunate, nonetheless.

No comments: